Thursday 17 July 2014

Festivals: Essentials You Need To Pack


Festival season is my favourite without a doubt. A weekend in the sun (probably rain actually) with your closest friends, decent music and good beer. This year so far I've been to three outdoor gigs. Which is basically like a festival except you get to go back to a comfy bed after it. Last year though I popped down the road to V festival and I certainly did over pack. I'm talking everything out of the beauty draw, half of Tesco's and even chucked in the kitchen sink for good measure. I guarantee half of what you take you will not use and when you have to walk at least an hour through mud with heavy luggage you will regret that extra bottle of dry shampoo, just in case. After much experience now I'm giving the low down on the bare essentials you will need for your hair, face, body and those extras you will end up needing. 


Hair is always the biggest worry. Embrace it though. I'd recommend leaving to wash your hair as long as you can, just before you leave for the weekend. On your first morning at a festival I'd avoid using dry shampoo straight away and just brush through and add L'Oreal Matt & Messy for a tousled finish (add a pretty headband if you need to). You can go wild the next morning though. My favourite choice of dry shampoo is the VO5 Plump It Up. When your locks are looking a little limp it gives it that boost you're after. On your last day take a long some printed clips to pin it back.


If we're being honest here you probably won't get a lot of sleep with the hard floor you'll be sleeping on and the late comers shouting at 4am. That means dark circles, yay. Seventeen's Phwoarr Paint tackles all my problems in the under eye area though. You can pop in Bourjois' 123 Perfect Colour Correcting Cream to your cosmetics bag and not worry about any uneven skin tone or dark areas.If like me you hide behind sunglasses (even in pouring down rain) then you're going to want a strong looking brow. ELF's Studio Eyebrow Treat & Tame is perfecting for keeping hairs in place but adding definition too. You are out in the fresh air for at least three days, you are going to want an effective lip balm like Carmex Lip Pot in Original. A bright lip will draw attention away from all the under eye problems you might have going on. I love coral shades, especially Rimmel - Kate Lasting Finish Lipstick in 16


A basic skincare routine is all you will want I promise. Garnier's Micellar Cleansing Water removes any make up or dirtiness really easily. To save on space I'm super impressed with all these compressed deodorants that are popping up. My favourite is Dove's Go Fresh in Pomegranate, it smells real goooood. You will need to keep everything at fresh as possible so mouth wash is ideal. You can't really go wrong with an old favourite in Listerine's Stay White Mini Mouthwash


All those extras you might not think of are packed in my luggage too! You will get dirt somewhere on you and will have no idea where it's come from so Boots Handy Wipes are ideal and smell lovely too. Instead of bringing your whole pack of cotton pads just pop a few into your toiletries bag. Cotton buds will come in handy too, especially when your ears are playing tricks on you after all the loud live music. Finally, hygiene is not a strong point at a festival so do not forget a mini hand gel. I opt for Carex's Original hand gel.

Is anyone been to/going to a festival this year? I'd love to know!

3 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with the micellar water, its a must!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely guilty of over packing for previous festivals. I think I need everything! This is such a lovely, helpful post! Hair was always my main issue too, I can't express enough how much a life saver dry shampoo is.

    Sammy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, I'm sure this post will come in handy for a lot of people! I usually go to a few festivals, e.g. Reading and Latitude etc, but unfortunately I fell ill in 2012 and haven't been able to go to any the last couple of years. Such a shame as I love festivals! Nevermind, I'll just have to make the most of the coverage on tv I guess :)

    Meg at Meg Says

    ReplyDelete